Timothy Kevane’s practice primarily focuses on complex insurance coverage disputes involving D&O liability insurance, commercial general liability, professional indemnity, aerospace, media, and errors and omissions policies. He has represented domestic and international insurance clients in litigation encompassing a wide range of coverage issues.
Tim has litigated in both federal and state courts throughout the United States. His substantial experience as litigator and insurance attorney brings practical perspective to handling and resolving disputes in a manner consistent with the client’s goals and expectations.
Tim received the Barristers President’s Award presented by the Los Angeles County Bar Association.
He is fluent in Spanish and conversational in French.
- New York
- US District Courts for the Central, Eastern, Northern and Southern Districts of California
- US District Courts for the Eastern, Northern, Southern and Western Districts of New York
- US Court of Appeals for the Third, Fourth and Ninth Circuits
- J.D., Loyola Law School, Los Angeles, 1991. St. Thomas Moore Law Honor Society. Articles editor for the Loyola Law School Entertainment Law Journal.
- B.S., International Relations, Georgetown University, School of Foreign Service, 1987
- Obtained summary judgment for insurer in lawsuit for recovery of defense costs based on prior reimbursement to insured by other insurer.
- Obtained summary judgment in action to reform aviation liability policy based on mutual mistake in drafting of managed aircraft endorsement.
- Obtained summary judgment that no coverage was owed in case arising out of skydiving accident based on scope of insuring clause.
- Obtained discovery ruling upholding attorney-client privilege and work product protections for London reporting.
- Prevailed in court trial on claim by additional insured that no valid contract existed establishing such status.
- Obtained summary judgment for excess insurer in personal and advertising injury case prevailing over insured that underlying layer was not exhausted.
- Obtained summary judgment of no coverage based on publisher's intentional acts in connection with advertising scheme.
- "Professional Services Exclusion," Client CLE, June 2016
- "Media Liability Insurance Fundamentals," ABA TIPS Conference, February 2010
- “Viking Pump Rebels Against NY Pro Rata Allocation Regime,” Law360, May 2016
- "Director’s Chair Wobbles Under the Weight of Copyright Law,” Law360, October 2015
- "The Illusory Coverage Doctrine Remains Elusive,” Insights, Society of Chartered Property and Casualty Underwriters, September 2015
- "Mobile Wi-Fi Bumps Up Against NIMBY,” Law360, January 2015
- "Online Comments Section Can Raise Republication Issues,” Law360, November 2014
- "Don’t Bank on a General Liability Policy for Protection After a Cyberattack," Business Insurance, June 2014
- "Drone Privacy Claims on the Horizon,” The Binder, Aviation Insurance Association, September 2013
- "Perspectives: Developments With ‘Routine’ SEC Settlements May Affect Professional Liability, D&O Insurance,” Business Insurance, August 2013
- "Anti-Indemnity Statutes Cave to Insurance Obligation," Law360, March 2011
- "Media Liability Coverage – An Overview," CPCU eJournal, December 2010
- "In the U.K., Libel Tourist Attractions May Be Closing," San Francisco Daily Journal, March 2010
- "Help Me Help You: A Primer on the Cooperation Clause," Bloomberg Law Reports, August 2009