Alex assists clients to resolve complex commercial disputes arising across a range of sectors with a particular specialism in technology, media, and telecommunications disputes, as well as property, hotels, leisure, and healthcare. Alex's experience includes representing clients at every stage of dispute resolution proceedings including in the DIFC Courts, local UAE Courts, English Courts, arbitration (under the DIFC-LCIA, ADCCAC, ICC and LCIA rules), negotiation and mediation. Alex also regularly advises on commercial and contractual issues arising in day-to-day business operations, such as managing project delay, late payment, agency disputes, and contract terminations.
Alex is a Solicitor of England and Wales and a registered practitioner before the DIFC Courts.
Prior to becoming a lawyer, Alex worked at IBM UK Limited for 5 years as a Commercial Manager, and so has first-hand experience of commercial disputes from a client perspective. She has also undertaken secondments to the legal departments of retail and banking clients.
- State-owned telecommunications company: advising on a complex dispute concerning the termination of multiple telecommunications installation projects due to issues relating to US sanctions in four jurisdictions.
- Property developer, Abu Dhabi: acting for a major UAE property developer in several high-value ADCCAC arbitrations arising from breaches of property plot sale and purchase agreements.
- Major media company, Dubai: advising on a dispute about the validity of a contract regarding rights to major channel content and potential claims in the DIFC and English Courts; also advising in connection with potential claims against a third party in the UAE, Qatar, USA and English Courts.
- Sellers of a Dubai-based electrical engineering and construction company: defending a USD 31 million claim in the English High Court for breach of warranties under a sale and purchase agreement, and related claims for personal liability for alleged fraud and breach of directors' duties under UAE law.
- Oil supplier, UK: acting for a major oil supplier following theft of sensitive information by a former employee; obtaining and executing a 'search and seize' order in the English High Court, securing evidence leading to an injunction, and preventing dissemination of valuable client information.
- Online pharmacy, Europe: advising the UK's largest online pharmacy in relation to its pan-European operations, including regulatory compliance in various jurisdictions, instructing and co-ordinating advice from local lawyers.
- Major telecommunications provider, UK: representing a multi-national company in a large-scale dispute concerning interpretation, mistake and rectification of a contract with another telecommunications provider in the English High Court.
- IT outsourcing provider, UK: acting for a mid-sized IT company and its PI insurer in arbitration proceedings in the London Court of International Arbitration (LCIA) arising from allegations that the client's employee deliberately deleted valuable data from the claimant's server, including advising on the associated police investigation and employment issues.
- Manufacturer of set-top boxes, UK: advising on contractual liabilities, strategy and negotiation to resolve disputes arising from flooding of factories in Thailand leading to severely restricted ability to supply.
- Marketing agency, UK: representing a defendant and its PI insurer in arbitration proceedings in the London Court of International Arbitration (LCIA) in a claim for breach of contract in provision of online marketing services.