Raquel is a Legal Director based in London and is qualified in England and in Spain, with an LL.M. degree in Commercial and Corporate Law from Queen Mary University of London.
Raquel specialises in international disputes with emphasis on insurance and reinsurance litigation and the defence of liability claims. She has over 10 years’ experience in both litigation and arbitration in Colombia, where she has acted for London and international insurers and reinsurers in the defence of high value financial institutions claims. Raquel has also handled criminal and regulatory investigations in Colombia.
Raquel co-authors the chapter on Colombia in The Insurance and Reinsurance Law Review.
- Advising D&O insurers on a claim arising from cost overruns in the construction of a major Colombian refinery resulting in losses of over US$6bn.
- Advising international insurers on a US$17m claim arising from losses caused by Hurricane Harvey in Texas in 2017.
- Acting for London market reinsurers in a professional indemnity claim arising from mismanagement of the fund set up for waste collection services in the city of Bogotá.
- Acting for London market reinsurers in a US$300m professional indemnity claim arising from the collapse of the Colombian domestic lending system in 1999.
- Advising business interruption master program insurers on coverage issues arising from the outbreak of swine flu in Mexico in 2009.
- Acting for London market reinsurers in a series of fidelity claims arising from the collapse of major Colombian stockbroker, including proceedings before the Colombian Audit Office and both the Civil and Criminal Courts.
- Acting for London market reinsurers in D&O claims made against the directors of a large Indian clearing house.
- Acting on behalf of a number of independent financial advisors against claims initiated by the Financial Services Compensation Scheme as a result of the collapse of Keydata in 2009.
- Advising D&O insurers on a claim arising from competition authorities’ investigation into the alleged abuse of dominant position by subsidiaries of a multinational company in Colombia.
- Assisting UK business interruption insurers in claim arising from a major fire in the northeast of Spain.