Henning Schaloske maintains a broad practice focused on insurance and reinsurance law, and has extensive experience in litigation as well as domestic and international arbitration (institutional and ad hoc), including corporate and commercial disputes. In arbitration, he is experienced as counsel as well as arbitrator (chairman/sole and party-appointed) and is certified as an arbitrator for (re)insurance disputes with ARIAS Deutschland e.V.
Henning has a particular focus on advising (re)insurers in complex domestic and international claims, either as monitoring, coverage or defence counsel. Due to his outstanding expertise and experience, clients seek his support across all major business lines, especially in the Financial and Professional Lines (D&O, E&O, PI, Crime) as well as Product Liability and Property and CAR/EAR. In recent years, Henning and his team have also become heavily engage in Cyber insurance as well as W&I matters, both from a wording development as well as a claims handling perspective. Further, Henning stands out in the market with broad experience in reinsurance matters.
Besides claims work, Henning frequently advises on product development across all business lines and in corporate insurance matters, in particular on German and European regulatory, insurance distribution and insurance competition law.
Henning chairs the working group "PI Insurance/Financial Lines" of the Committee Insurance Law of the German Bar Association.
He is recommended as a leading expert for insurance/reinsurance in JUVE, Legal500, Chambers, The Best Lawyers in Germany, Who's Who Legal, and other sources.
- German legal studies and Anglo-American language and law programme at the University of Münster
- Dissertation on the law of co-insurance programmes with Professor Dr Armbrüster, Free University Berlin
- Business studies for lawyers at the Fernuniversität Hagen
- Arias Deutschland e.V.
- DeutscherAnwaltVerein (German Bar Association)
- Deutsche Institution für Schiedsgerichtsbarkeit e.V. (German Institution of Arbitration)
- Acting as monitoring and coverage counsel in numerous domestic and international D&O matters, including publicly known representation of primary and excess insurers eg in re EM.TV (Dot-com bubble), SachsenLB (Financial crisis) or more recently SKW, Rheinmetall and Villeroy & Boch
- Representing insurers in coverage disputes, for example in market shaping cases with regard to the validity of the claims made-principle under German law and the assignment of coverage claims against D&O insurers
- Defending insureds in professional indemnity claims, including directors and officers, law firms, tax advisors and accountants, for example with regard to complex funds and tax structures as well as transactions, financial accounting and audits and insolvency matters, including obtaining first judgement maintains liability shield of English LLP under German law
- Handling numerous domestic and international product liability and recall cases as coverage or defence counsel, in particular in the automobile industry, construction and energy sectors
- Advising insurers and insured in complex international cyber matters, including class actions, GDPR fines, business interruption and data breach notifications
- Supporting insurers in the handling of large and complex property and BI claims
- Providing coverage advice on CAR/EAR claims, for example regarding offshore projects
- Advising and defending insurers as coverage counsel in W&I claims
- Representing parties in reinsurance arbitrations, for example with regard to follow-the-settlements and deposits
- Drafting primary, excess and master policies across various business lines, including D&O, E&O, PI, Cyber, W&I, Liability and Specialty
- Advising international insurers in setting up German business operations and insurance distribution structures, including digital solutions and platforms
- Advising InsurTechs on regulatory and commercial aspects of their business models
- Representing parties in commercial domestic and international arbitration proceedings, especially in (re)insurance, liability, post-M&A and international trade matters