Sean Simpson focuses his practice on commercial insurance and reinsurance matters and has represented US and London market insurers in litigation and counseling on complex matters pertaining to directors and officers liability, bankers liability and fidelity bonds, securities broker/dealer liability, commercial general liability, commercial property, intellectual property liability, and professional errors and omissions liability, including many of the highest profile and most significant matters in the past decade.
Sean has also assisted London market insurers in developing innovative policy wording to cover new and emerging risks. In 2015, Sean seconded to Liberty Specialty Markets where he offered advice and analysis on significant professional liability claims.
In 1996, Sean externed for California Supreme Court Chief Justice Ronald George, where he evaluated and drafted opinions on significant and developing legal issues at the forefront of California jurisprudence.
- J.D., cum laude, Pepperdine University School of Law, 1997
- B.A., cum laude, California State Polytechnic University, 1994
- Study abroad, Bristol University, United Kingdom, 1994
- Presenter, “Hot Topics: Trends in US D&O Claims,” London, England, June 2017
- Presenter, “Review of US Bad Faith and Practical Considerations,” London, England, June 2017
- Presenter, “Trends in US D&O and Financial Institutions Claims: Claims Developments and other Government Investigations,” London, England, October 2016
- Panel speaker, “Trends Impacting the London FI/D&O Industry Today: Business, Underwriting, Claims and Legal Perspectives,” London, England, October 2015
- Presenter, “A Roadmap for Obtaining Claim Documentation and Avoiding the Path to Unnecessary Litigation,” London, England, June 2014
- Co-author, “Growth of Global Litigation Funding Market to Drive Increase in D&O Claims,” Insurance Day, June 2017
- Co-author, “Trigger of Coverage,” Chapter 3, Directors & Officers Liability Insurance Deskbook, Fourth Edition, ABA Tort Trial and Insurance Practice Section, 2016
- Co-author, “Other Insurance Clauses,” Chapter 7, Directors & Officers Liability Insurance Deskbook, Fourth Edition, ABA Tort Trial and Insurance Practice Section, 2016
- Co-author, “Settlement,” Chapter 9, Directors & Officers Liability Insurance Deskbook, Fourth Edition, ABA Tort Trial and Insurance Practice Section, 2016