James has extensive experience in defending claims made against solicitors, accountants and insolvency practitioners.
James also defends claims arising out of Directors & Officers liability claims and regulatory investigations conducted by professional bodies.
- Defending a claim against a law firm arising from alleged negligence in drafting a Share Purchase Agreement which allegedly caused the claimant to lose the opportunity to develop oil fields. The claim was pleaded at in excess of £70m and a discrete issue was heard at the Court of Appeal.
- Defending an ACCA regulatory investigation into an insolvency practitioner’s conduct of an IVA where allegations of dishonesty were raised.
- Defending at trial a claim pleaded at £18m against a firm of solicitors arising out of an ancillary relief and commercial retainer.
- Advising an accountant/tax advisor in respect of an alleged failure to give advice regarding schemes which might have avoided a £1.3m liability to Capital Gains Tax.
- Defending an IFA in respect of a claim pleaded at £1.4m arising from alleged negligent advice to invest in a commercial property fund.
- Advising the director of an independent school in respect of a Directors & Officers claim alleging conflict of interest and improper release of a £600,000 debt.