Arturo Arista specializes in all areas of insurance, reinsurance and transportation law by providing legal advice to both domestic and foreign insurers, reinsurers, mutual associations and P&I Clubs. He is also experienced in dealing with all aspects of transportation, charterparties, bills of lading and cargo claims.
Arturo is the head of the Insurance/Reinsurance team in Mexico and he has provided legal advice and been involved in multiple litigation cases representing the leading Mexican and foreign insurance and reinsurance carriers in most areas of insurance including property, catastrophic risks, public liability, products liability, D&O, E&O, PI, Aviation, EAR, CAR, Marine and subrogation recoveries.
He teaches the module of Marine and Transportation Insurance at the Diploma in Insurance at the Universidad Panamericana in Mexico City.
Arturo started working at a Maritime law firm in Mexico City while still attending law school. His practice was focused on the areas of marine insurance, transportation law and subrogation claims from 1994 to 1996. Arturo joined the firm Garza Tello & Asociados, S.C. as an associate in 1996 and became a partner in January 2002. He worked in a foreign lawyer program at the law firm of De Orchis & Partners in New York City in 1999.
He is fluent in both Spanish and English.
- Federal and state courts of all the Mexican Republic, including administrative courts and governmental entities
- Diploma in Insurance, The Charterers Insurance Institute, UK, 2004
- Certificate in Insurance Practice, London Metropolitan University, UK, 2003
- Law School Instituto Technológico Autónomo de México (ITAM), 1992-1997. His professional thesis was titled, "Legal Aspects of Time Charter Parties."
- Charterers Insurance Institute, UK
- Mexican Association of Insurance Lawyers
He has lectured in international seminars in the US, UK and Latin America concerning transportation claims in Mexico, marine insurance, public liability and products liability.
- “Jurisdiction Update: Mexican Reinsurance,” published in conjunction with Reynolds, Porter, Chamberlain, LLP. Bulletin of August 2007 and subsequent updates.
- Author of the Mexican section of, “Time Bar in Insurance and Reinsurance, an International Comparison.”
Arturo has been appointed as expert in Mexican insurance and transportation law in various lawsuits in the US. He has provided a number of declarations and affidavits in respect to such lawsuits and arbitration proceedings, including but not limited to the following cases:
- Northern Marine Underwriters Limited v. FBI Express, Inc, et al. Case No. C.A. 4:08-civ-02549 (KPE). US District Court for the Southern District of Texas.
- Seguros Comercial América, SA de CV. v. Smar International Corporation. Odyssey America Reinsurance Corporation; Comisión Nacional de Electricidad.
- Debbie Bignall. v. Fury Catamarans, Inc.; Fury Flyer, Inc.; Fury Management, Inc.; Fury de México, SA de CV. Case No. 442004CA 989 K Jones. US Circuit Court for the 16th Judicial Circuit, Monroe County, Florida, General Jurisdiciton Division.
- New India Insurance Company. v. American President Lines, LTD. Index No. 01 Civ. 8691 (RCC). US District Court for the Southern District of New York.
- DSND Subsea AS. v. Oceanografía, S.A. de C.V. 07 CV 576 (RJS). US District Court for the Southern District of New York.
- Transportes Navieros y Terrestres, SA de CV. v. Fairmont Heavy Transport, N.V. Case No. 07 CV 3076 (LAP). US District Court for the Southern District of New York.
- International arbitration between Seguros Comercial América, SA de CV and A.P. Moller Singapure, Pte. Ltd.
- Eric Oldham and Tara Cinelli, as Co-Personal Representative of the Estate of L.R.O., Deceased, v. Pentair Water Pool and Spa, Inc. Michael Ray Angel and Holly Jo Angel. Case No. 8:09cv1321-T-26. US District Court for the Middle District of Florida, Tampa Division.
- Keith Taylor, et al. v. Tesco Corporation (US). Case No. 09-3404. US District Court for the Eastern District of Louisiana.
- JVC de México, S.A. de C.V. v. American President Lines. Case No. 2002-061658. Alameda County Supreme Court.
- La Compagnie D’Assurances Générales. v. Oakville Stamping & Bending and others. Case No. 100-17-000618-068. Province of Québec, District of Rimouski, Superior Court.