Jeremy provides clients with commercially focussed advice on legal issues arising on all aspects of construction projects, including project procurement, contract drafting and negotiation, project management and dispute resolution (litigation, international and domestic arbitration, expert determination and mediation).
He has acted for and advised some of the world's largest construction and engineering companies together with governments, mine owners and large investment funds.
His experience spans the property, mining and public infrastructure sectors, having advised clients on cases involving, amongst others, medium and high rise commercial and residential buildings, shopping centres, LNG onshore plants, closed and open cycle gas fired power stations, coal handling preparation plants, underground longwall systems, drill and blast operations, ship-loading facilities, onshore and offshore port marine works, rail maintenance facilities and roads.
Jeremy is a strong negotiator and advocate and is committed to achieving the best possible outcome for his clients.
- Acting for a major Australian construction company in the preparation and prosecution of a AUD300 million damages claim against its former directors for failure to properly manage the company's construction projects.
- Acting for a multinational joint venture company in defence of a AUD2.5 billion claim in an international arbitration concerning the engineering, procurement and construction of a AUD40 billion liquid natural gas onshore processing plant.
- Successfully defending a multinational USA based engineering company from a complex AUD80 million professional negligence action, together with an associated arbitration, surrounding its design of a storm water drainage system on a NSW Government infrastructure project.
- Acting for and asserting sovereign immunity on behalf of the Kingdom of Spain in defence of two applications by international corporations to have the Federal Court of Australia recognise and enforce foreign arbitral awards obtained under the International Convention for Settlement of Investment Disputes.
- Advising a Spanish based construction contractor in relation to its termination of a key electrical subcontractor on a major NSW Government road development.
- Drafting and negotiating contracts for investment fund clients after their purchase of commercial office buildings in Sydney and Melbourne.
- Successfully negotiating on behalf of a landlord the terms of surrender of a commercial hotel operations lease from a hostile tenant in circumstances where the tenant relinquished a sizeable claim to an early termination payment under the lease.
- Acting for Ports Corporation of Queensland on a major dispute with a large Australian contractor who had been engaged to design and construct an upgrade of a significant Queensland port.