Mati advises financial institutions, investors and local and multinational corporations on domestic and cross-border mergers and acquisitions (M&A), divestitures, commercial agreements, regulatory, financings, and projects and construction matters. Mati has experience advising on matters across sub-Saharan Africa including in Kenya, Tanzania, Burundi, Democratic Republic of Congo, Eritrea, Nigeria, Rwanda, and Uganda.
Mati has advised on a number of large and complex matters, working with clients operating in the energy, financial services, healthcare, infrastructure, insurance, retail and consumer, real estate, and technology sectors.
Mati is admitted as an Advocate of the High Court of Kenya.
Corporate/M&A and commercial
- Advising private equity firm, Adenia Partners on its 100 per cent acquisition of Africa Biosystems Limited (ABL), a leading distributor of life sciences and clinical diagnostics equipment in East Africa. Clyde & Co acted as both international (English law) and local counsel (Kenya and Tanzania) to Adenia on various aspects of this multi-jurisdictional deal, including drafting and negotiating the key English law transaction documents and obtaining all necessary regulatory approvals in Kenya, Tanzania and Uganda.
- Advising Premier Solar Group, a leading commercial and industrial (C&I) solar company, on the sale of a 50 per cent stake in its East African operations to Starsight Energy, a West African C&I energy service provider. As part of the transaction, both parties will see the creation of Starsight Premier Energy Group, an East Africa-focused joint venture that will offer sustainable power and cooling and battery storage solutions to C&I clients across East Africa. Clyde & Co acted as sole legal adviser to Premier Solar Group on various aspects of the matter, including reviewing and negotiating the key English law transaction documents, providing strategic corporate advice on regulatory approvals and other relevant English and Kenyan law matters.
- Advising Lateral Capital LLP on the acquisition of an undisclosed stake in a Kenyan financial credit provider.
- Advising Chandaria Capital LLP on various venture capital share acquisitions in East Africa and Europe.
- Advising shareholders of the Monarch Insurance Company on an USD 8 million disposal of a majority equity stake to a Moroccan conglomerate and pan African underwriter, Holmarcom.
- Advising numerous international clients on various regulatory considerations including digital lending, banking, data protection, insurance and healthcare.
- Advising a global reinsurance broker on de-registration of its licence in Kenya.
- Advising a large global insurance company on the restructuring of its operations across 14 African jurisdictions.
- Advising on a USD 400 million re-financing of a logistics firm with operations in four East African jurisdictions.
Projects and construction
- Advising on a USD 150 million financing and construction of a private hospital in Kenya.