Narmin Shahin represents public agencies, corporations, and employers in employment, contractual, and premises disputes in tort, employment, and labor law litigation. Narmin has a breadth of experience emanating from her work for a large California-based school district where she litigated employment and labor law matters in both State and Federal court concerning allegations of discrimination, failure to accommodate, Title VII, Title IX, Equal Protection, Substantive and Procedural Due Process, and/or harassment/retaliation. She provides advice and counsel on a wide array of issues ranging from reasonable accommodations, ADA compliance, COVID-19 obligations and vaccine litigation, bargaining agreements, lay-offs, recruitment, and healthcare, with an emphasis of statutory interpretations including the Government Code, Education Code, and Labor Code.
Narmin has provided training on reasonable accommodations, human resources obligations, interactive process, COVID-19 safety compliance, and other related guidance to disability management. She has advised on Equal Opportunity investigations including review and response to internal complaints and resulting investigation determination letters and receipt and review of DFEH complaints and EEOC charges. She has also argued before the Second Appellate District and Ninth Circuit Courts of Appeal.
- US District Court for the Central and Southern Districts
- US Court of Appeals for the Second Appellate District
- US Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit
- J.D., Whittier Law School, 2010
- B.A., University of California Riverside, 2007. Dean’s Honor Roll List.
- Co-chaired a federal Title IX trial to verdict, which resulted in a partial Defense verdict and proceeded to appeal before the Ninth Circuit. (September 2019)
- The California Court of Appeal, Second Appellate District – Division One, certified for publication a decision affirming the public-school district’s classification of a probationary employee per Education Code section 44929.21. The matter was litigated from inception to the Court of Appeal publication solely by Ms. Shahin. (February 24, 2021)
- Oversaw and actively litigated approximately 10 pending COVID-19 vaccination-related multiple Plaintiff lawsuits in both state and federal court. Obtained a favourable Motion to Dismiss FRCP 12(b)(6) ruling on a federal matter, which is currently up on appeal before the Ninth Circuit. (December 2021-March 2023)
- The Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals affirmed the dismissal of Plaintiff’s case per the District’s filed Federal Rules of Civil Procedure 12(b)(6) Motion to Dismiss. (September 22, 2021)
- Numerous successful demurrers on the issues of punitive damages, common law torts, failure to exhaust administrative remedies, pleaded facts unrelated to claims raised in DFEH complaint, workers’ compensation exclusive remedy, and failure to meet heightened pleading standard required in public entity litigation.
- Successful early litigation resolution of disability discrimination and failure to accommodate matters with adverse liability facts wherein long-term public employee alleged school district failed to accommodate his/her disability where district failed to explore reclassification.
- Successfully defended public school defendant in two writs of mandate alleging improper classification per the Education Code.
- Decision affirming a large California-based school district’s classification of a probationary employee per Education Code section 44929.21.