Imani is a Senior Associate in our Dar es Salaam office. He has advised local and international clients on Tanzanian laws and regulatory issues relating to a wide range of sectors including; tax, projects and construction, banking and finance, oil and gas, mining, telecommunications and insurance. Imani has practical approach to the advice he provides, largely borne out of the time he formerly spent on secondment with a client. Having worked as part of an in-house legal team, he always views matters through a “client-lens” thus aligning with the clients’ objectives. Imani holds a Bachelor of Laws degree from Mzumbe University, Morogoro; a Postgraduate Diploma in Legal Practice from the Law School of Tanzania; and a Master of Arts in Revenue Law and Administration degree from the University of Dar es Salaam. Imani is an Advocate of the High Court of Tanzania and a member of the Tanganyika Law Society. He is also registered with the Tanzania Revenue Authority as a Tax Consultant.
- Advising clients in tax disputes resolution at various stages including, preparation and filing of notices of objection; engaging in correspondences with the TRA; filing of appeals with the TRAB and TRAT and appearing at the appellate bodies on behalf of clients.
- Secondment to Shell Exploration and Production Tanzania Limited (a subsidiary of Shell PLC).
- Reviewing existing Production Sharing Agreements and ancillary contracts for an international oil and gas company and preparing a gaps list identifying clauses which are inconsistent with recent amendments to oil and gas legislation in Tanzania.
- Advising the Federal Government of Somalia during negotiations and drafting of a new Port Concession Agreement for rehabilitation of Mogadishu Port.
- Advising Loinette Capital Limited on its acquisition of Hortanzia Limited.
- Advising Exim Bank Tanzania Ltd on its acquisition of UBL Bank Tanzania Ltd.
- Advising Wakandi Group AS on the regulatory framework and obtaining a payment systems licence in Tanzania.
- Advising Spektra Technologies Inc on the regulatory framework for payment systems and electronic money services in Tanzania.
- Advising Circle Gas Limited on the legal and regulatory framework applicable to their business of selling LPG through smart meters technology, focusing initially on Dar es Salaam and Zanzibar.
- Advising majority shareholders of a Tanzanian company in respect of minority shareholders’ rights and implications of a breach of shareholders' agreement.
- Advising FMO and PROPARCO on a USD 125 million loan facility to NMB Bank Public Limited Company for financing NMB’s investments in micro, small and medium-sized enterprises, agri-businesses and eligible green opportunities in Tanzania.
- Advising IFC in relation to a USD 90 million working capital solutions term loan in favour of NMB Bank PLC.
- Advising IFC in relation to a USD 100 million Global SME facility in favour of CRDB Bank PLC and a parent company guarantee agreement by CRDB Bank PLC to guarantee the obligations of CRDB Bank Burundi S.A as borrower in respect of a USD 5 million senior loan facility issued by IFC.
- Advising FMO and PROPARCO in relation to a USD 125 million syndicated senior term loan facility to NMB Bank PLC.
- Advising FMO in relation to a USD 21 million Second Loss Portfolio Guarantee to NMB Bank PLC.
- Advising Trafigura Pte Ltd in relation to a USD 5 million term loan in favour of African Inland Logistics Limited.
- Advising Stanbic Bank Tanzania Limited in relation to a TZS 70 billion medium term facility to Airtel Tanzania PLC.