Alexa has experience of a mix of contentious and non-contentious construction and projects work spanning across a broad spectrum of sector specialisms including infrastructure, transport (rail and airports), building / property development, leisure & retail. Clients include contractors, sub-contractors, suppliers, professional consultants, developers, and public sector bodies engaged in projects located across MENA including the UAE, Qatar and Oman. Alexa drafts / negotiates international construction contracts, advises as "project counsel" on commercial / contractual issues arising as works progress and represents clients in dispute resolution proceedings, predominantly international arbitration.
Alexa is ranked as an “Associate to Watch” by Chambers & Partners and a “Rising Star” by Legal 500. Chambers & Partners reports that Alexa is "a very diligent lawyer - she's very methodical and logical in the way she approaches things."
Contentious / Dispute Resolution
- Ongoing representation of a leading Chinese international contractor in relation to arbitration proceedings relating to the construction of Abu Dhabi Airport. [ADCCAC, UAE seat]
- Representing a Chinese contractor in a $250mn termination dispute relating to a high-profile international airport project in the Gulf. [ICC, Qatar seat]
- Advising a major international contractor consortium in relation to subcontractor / Main Contract final account claims, delay and additional work claims arising out of the construction of the iconic Burj Khalifa, the world’s tallest building in Downtown Dubai. [ICC, UAE seat]
- Representing a government entity in defending a USD 1 billion claim from a contractor arising from the finishes, systems and mechanical and electrical works at the Gulf's busiest airport. [DIAC, UAE seat]
- Advising a contractor in relation to large value claims related to a sewage treatment plant in Qatar. [ICC, Paris seat]
- Advising a Japanese JV contractor in relation to claims for delay, variations, withholding payment and breach of contract arising out of a sewage treatment plant project in Qatar. [ICC, England seat]
- Advising an international infrastructure contractor consortium in connection with a delay and disruption dispute arising out of a major road project in Qatar. [ICC, Qatar seat]
- Representing a Chinese contractor in relation to payment, variation and delay claims arising out of the design and construction of an iconic tower in Doha. [ICC, Qatar seat]
- Advising a Malaysian contractor in relation to claims regarding subcontractor design defects and delay, and its own final account claim arising in connection with a systems installation package for the construction of the New Doha International Airport. [ICC, Qatar seat]
- Representing a US based multinational engineering and design firm in relation to a payment and variation dispute arising out of a large-scale rail infrastructure project in Qatar.
- Providing pre-litigation advice and generally advising in connection with claims arising from sub-contractor default, sub-contractor insolvency, design defects, contract termination, variations, extensions of time, delay, disruption and prolongation claims, payment defaults and general breach of contract under a variety of FIDIC based standard form contracts and bespoke contract conditions on public and private sector projects located in Qatar / UAE and the applicability of local law to the same.
Project Counsel / Non-contentious
- Ongoing advice to a Japanese main contractor in connection with contractual and commercial claims relating to an airport project in Sri Lanka.
- Advice to a Singaporean based contractor in relation to legal and commercial issues arising from its Design, Build and operate contract for a sewage treatment plant in Qatar.
- Advising and preparing claims for a Sharjah based EPC contractor in relation to the return of significant overpayments made to a key fabrication package contractor. Contract subject to English law, and matters favourably resolved prior to adjudication proceedings.
- Advising a Brazilian contractor consortium and a Spanish contractor JV in relation to the tender documentation for particular metro lines on the Doha Metro as part of the Qatar Integrated Rail Project (QIRP).
- Drafting and advising on a suite of construction documentation for a JV Contractor consortium relating to elevated and at grade design & build packages as part of the QIRP.
- Advising a leading architectural firm on the drafting, risk profile and negotiation of a design consultancy agreement relating to the People Mover aspect of the Qatar Integrated Rail Project.
- Advising a firm of UK architects in relation to the negotiation of a design consultancy agreement for Qatar 2022 training sites.
- Advising a leading international architect in relation to its retainer agreement for the Sharq Crossing, Qatar.
- Advising a British multinational facilities management and construction services company on the risk profile under Qatar law of facilities management agreements and hotel tower construction contacts for projects in Qatar.
- Advising an Omani environmental consultancy company in the drafting and negotiation of its sub-consultancy agreement for the relocation of mangroves and mitigation services on the New Doha Port project.
- Drafting, reviewing and negotiating the terms of FIDIC based standard form contracts and other bespoke building contracts, consultancy agreements, performance security documents, collateral warranties, letters of intent and settlement agreements. [Dubai / Qatar / Oman / Iraq]