Through his previous professional engagements and management of Kangwana in association with Clyde & Co, Jared has extensive experience of the Kenyan market, both on contentious and non-contentious matters.
Given the unique blend of specialist knowledge and ability to understand issues affecting different professions and industries in Kenya, Jared’s practice has diversified to include specialisms as broad as debt recoveries, insurance claims management and Mergers & Acquisitions.
Jared is an English trained Advocate and admitted as an Advocate of the High Court of Kenya. His status enables him to understand matters governed under English Law, and act as local counsel within Kenya.
Prior to establishing Kangwana in association with Clyde & Co. Jared was a member of the corporate team in Nairobi of a Pan-African Firm. Thereafter, Jared spent time as in-house counsel for a well-respected bank and separately insurance company in Kenya.
Corporate and Commercial
- Advising a global well-flow management company in relation to a breach of its contract of service with respect to certain wells in Kenya.
- Advised an energy finance platform on their feasibility study around receivable financing in Kenya
- Advised Cigna on Data Protection Laws in Kenya.
- Advising an international luxury car brand with respect to its Kenya specific distribution agreements.
- Advising Apollo Agriculture on their lending structure to small scale farmers in Kenya.
- Advising a Fourth Generation Capital, on their on-going lending activities to small scale traders in Kenya.
- Currently advising a target in the banking sector on a proposed equity investment from a large telecoms provider in Kenya.
- Advised Lori Systems on their Series A round of US$5.5 Million in the form of convertible debt. Lori Systems is a major player in the logistics sector, leveraging their product on technology platforms. Very early on into the process, we identified issues that may have given rise to red flags during the due diligence stage. A significant amount of work had to be put in to clean this up in preparedness for the due diligence. We had lengthy deliberations around the workings and processes behind the deal up to closing.
- Advised Lynk Professionals Limited on with a syndicated Series A round of investment. Our role included reviewing and amending the Share Subscription Agreement, Shareholders Agreement, monitoring the meeting of conditions precedents and closing formalities.
- Advised a digital lender on an investment by Ceniarth LLC in the form of a convertible note.
- Advising a Kenyan insurance underwriter on a proposed acquisition by a pan African insurance underwriter.
- Advised on the acquisition of Civicon Limited by Trans-century Limited, valued at KES 2bn.
- Advised on the acquisition of Francis Thuo and Partners Limited by Equity Investment Bank (the investment arm of Equity Bank Limited) valued at KES 250m.
- Advised Stichting DOB Equity on their proposed investment in Moringa Schools Limited
- Advised a private equity fund on their proposed acquisition of the entire issued share capital of two companies in the FMCG sector. Our client is a big producer of FMCG products in Kenya and also had regional presence through exports.
- Lateral Capital LLP acquisition of an undisclosed stake in a Kenyan financial credit provider.
- Advised Axis Capital (UK) in relation to claims handling procedures in Kenya.
- Advised Proclaim (India) in relation to the loss adjusting business in Kenya.
- Ongoing claims management for a UK based underwriter for claims emanating out of Kenya.
Banking & Finance (Regulatory)
- Advised on bank guarantees for various amounts to be issued by African Banking Corporation Limited in favour of banks in the various jurisdictions providing guarantees to of Mo De Yellow Holdings Limited to secure their obligations arising out of an Advance Credit Service with subsidiaries of MTN.
- Advised Bank of New York Mellon Asset Management International Limited relating to investment management activities proposed to be undertaken by an employee of AMI’s representative office.
- Advised East Africa breweries Limited in connection with a proposed debt capital raising by way of commercial paper issue.
- Advised on the establishment of Maisha Microfinance Bank Limited, a deposit taking micro finance bank regulated by the Central Bank of Kenya.
- Advised AIG (SA) on Employment related matters in relation to their Kenyan operations.
- Advised a global FMCG company on a recognition agreement between the client and the Kenya Union of Commercial Food and Allied Workers.
- Advising a global cosmetics brand in relation to employment related issues in its Kenyan operations.
- Ad-hoc legal advice to SistemaBio/Goodfarmland on employment related issued and fundraising activities of their Kenyan entity.