Jacques advises local and overseas insurers on complex disputes and coverage issues. He has extensive expertise in financial lines claims with a particular focus on directors & officers, professional indemnity, management liability, cyber and warranty & indemnity claims.
Jacques acts as defence counsel for company directors and financial professionals, such as accountants, auditors, stockbrokers and financial planners. His experience ranges from managing large multi-party litigation to regulatory and disciplinary hearings.
Jacques has experience in acting in employment practices claims, including in relation to discrimination complaints. Jacques has assisted insurers with product development, including advice around policy drafting.
Jacques is listed by Legal 500 as a Next Generation Partner in Insurance and by Doyle’s Guide as a Leading Professional Indemnity Lawyer. He is also recognised by Best Lawyers Australia for Insurance Law.
- Warranty & indemnity – acting in one of the largest warranty & indemnity claims globally and in Australia, worth more than AUD700 million.
- Cyber – acting in more than 130 different cyber breach matters, including some of the largest breaches in the Australian market.
- Class actions – acting as defence counsel in a number of high profile class actions.
- Directors & Officers – acting for a director in a complex dispute involving allegations of shareholder oppression.
- Professional indemnity – acting for financial planners and other financial professionals in respect of allegations of negligent financial advice and non-compliance compliance framework.
- Coverage – advising clients on complex coverage issues in respect of securities class actions.
- Warranty & Indemnity – advising client in relation to cover for alleged breaches of warranty in respect of complex asset financing transaction involving claims exceeding AUD20 million.
- COVID-19 – advising, as part of a global team, on complex issues around events cancellation policies in respect of COVID-19 related cancellations.
- Directors & Officers – acting for the Board of a large not-for-profit organisation in respect of a claim exceeding AUD10 million involving breaches of duties.
- Construction PI – Advising clients in relation to risks associated with cladding on large building portfolio.
- Construction PI – Acting as part of a team defending an engineer in multi-party dispute involving high profile building failure.
- Construction PI – Acting for architect in relation to negligent design issues.
- Construction PI – Acting for builder in relation to large scale failures and defects in apartment building