Lesley trained with Strathclyde Regional Council, and practiced as an in-house litigator before and after local government re-organisation. Lesley continues to act primarily for public sector clients, who benefit from the particular skills and experience she has developed in this area of law over more than twenty years.
Lesley acts for local government clients, organisations providing care and protection service to both adults and children, social housing providers and the emergency services, providing representation and advice to meet a broad range of legal needs, prior to or during litigation.
Lesley's practice includes defending public and employer's liability claims, fatal accident inquiries, judicial review and landlord and tenant disputes, as well as advising on Freedom of Information and Data Protection issues. Lesley regularly advises on damages claims for stress at work, for issues arising during operational activities for emergency or caring services, and on high value claims or issues with sensitive public relations implications. Lesley gives practical advice and assistance on managing difficult situations in a manner which minimises potential legal and PR implications and maximises reassurance to the client.
- Solicitor for an independent fostering agency in an FAI relating to the fatal stabbing of a foster carer by a foster child.
- Acting for fire and rescue services in relation to claims by fire fighters for injuries sustained during operational fire fighting when a garage collapsed
- Solicitor for the social work authority in an FAI relating to the death of a toddler found in his home some months after the fatality, after his mother, originally convicted of his murder, over-turned that conviction on appeal
- Acting for a public sector employer in a claim for damages under the Protection from Harassment Act 1997 relating to claims of sexual harassment and aggression in the workplace
- Acting for a social work authority in a claim for damages for breach of human rights arising from the authority securing an emergency Child Protection Order
- Acting for a local authority in a claim for damages for defamation and data protection breaches arising from a social worker sharing personal data about a service user with health services
- Advising emergency services in relation to road traffic accidents sustained while driving under blue light conditions
- Acting for local authorities in damages claims for abuse sustained while in their care, both in educational facilities and in the community while subject to statutory protective measures
- Advising public and private sector clients on alleged data protection breaches, and on responses to Subject Access Requests under the Data Protection Act, both during and out with litigation
- Acting for a local authority in relation to a claim for damages for a catastrophic brain injury sustained in a trip and fall accident
- Advising public and private sector clients on responses to Freedom of Information and Environmental Information requests, and the applicable exemptions and exceptions to the duties to provide such information
- Acting for an education authority in a damages claim based on an alleged failure to educate arising from inadequate assessment of additional educational support needs and an inadequate response to those needs