Charis graduated from the University of Nottingham, and was called to the Singapore Bar in 2015.
Charis has advised and represented companies and individuals in international and domestic arbitrations and commercial litigation proceedings in all levels of the Singapore Court in shareholders disputes, employment disputes, disputes involving commercial fraud, and construction and infrastructure disputes.
Charis is fluent in English and Mandarin.
- Acting for a subsidiary of a Norwegian shipping company in a DIA arbitration against a German company in respect of certain fraudulent acts and manipulations done on tests of marine diesel engines.
- Acting for the subsidiaries of a group of companies based in Dubai in a dispute arising from a suite of agreements, including an asset purchase agreement and a share sale agreement.
- Acting for an American insurance company and its Singapore subsidiary in a commercial dispute involving allegations of conspiracy and unlawful interference with trade.
- Acting for a Swiss multinational company in an ICC arbitration involving a long-running complex financial fraud in Indonesia. The amount defrauded is estimated to be in the region of US$30 million.
- Acting for a South-African national in an SIAC arbitration involving an employment dispute with a subsidiary of a global dry bulk shipping company based in Olso.
- Acted for a global brokerage and financial services firm based in England in proceedings in Singapore arising out of a fraud involving multiple entities across jurisdictions. The amount defrauded is estimated to be in the region of US$300 million.
- Acted for the affiliates of an American agri-business in an SIAC arbitration against their Indian joint venture partners in relation to a dispute arising from the transfer of certain food processing equipment.
- Acted for a main contractor of a condominium development in an ad hoc arbitration under the SIA Rules.
- Acted for a US S&P 500 company in proceedings relating to a mechanical engineering dispute arising from a failure of a tug boat marine diesel engine.