Justin's key clients include multinational corporations, top tier Japanese and other major international trading houses, Chinese SOEs and private enterprises in the energy and infrastructure sectors, and South East Asia-based conglomerates with regional operations.
His practice focuses on corporate, projects and trade work across Asia Pacific and South Asian jurisdictions, including:
- M&A, joint ventures, corporate and commercial work, employment;
- greenfield/brownfield infrastructure petrochemical/LNG, renewables and infrastructure projects; and
- international trade in energy and commodities, with a focus on trade finance as well as trade regulatory work.
Justin is the lead partner in relation to Clyde & Co’s obligations as a panel firm advising the Philippines and Vietnam governments on PPP projects.
- Advising Total S.A. on a number of downstream oil and gas M&A transactions in APAC
- Advising Mitsubishi Corporation on its investment into TBC Oceanic, Inc., a dry bulk ship pooling business headquartered in the US, involving entities across 9 jurisdictions
- Advising Sumitomo Corporation on its acquisition of an equity stake in aluminium concessions and smelters in East Malaysia
- Advising on a commercial joint venture in Indonesia entered into by Marubeni Corporation with an Indonesian distributor for the import of grains for downstream distribution in the Indonesian market
- Advising a number of international commodities trading houses on their vertical supply chain acquisitions including logistics, storage, transportation and processing assets
- Advising on the joint venture entered into by a Singapore-based oil exploration and extraction company with a Singapore-listed company, in relation to the oil exploration company’s Indonesian oil extraction business and assets
- Advising Sinochem on establishing a joint venture company with a Singapore based company, Hengli Petrochemical International Pte. Ltd. to conduct international oil trading business
- Advising on the SGD 151 million acquisition by Blackstone Singapore into a premium residential estate in Singapore
- Advising INPEX Corporation on its equity investment in a joint venture with ADNOC and Intercontinental Exchange.
Projects & Infrastructure
- Advising Huntsman Corporation on the USD 750 million expansion of its polyurethanes facility in the Shanghai Chemical Industrial Park
- Advising the Philippines PPP Center on the implementation of a major seaport project in the Philippines to support the region's potential to be the center of maritime activities in the Philippines, and as a transhipment hub for the Brunei Darussalam-Indonesia-Malaysia-Philippines East ASEAN Growth Area (“BIMP-EAGA”)
- Advising Mitsui & Co., Ltd and its partners on a centralised utilities facility (covering electricity, water, gas, hydrogen and wastewater treatment) to a refinery commissioned by Petrobras outside Rio de Janerio, Brazil on a BOT basis
- Advising a consortium of major European and Australian energy and infrastructure companies on their bids to build up to three gas-fired power stations in Indonesia on an Independent Power Producer (IPP) basis
- Advising on the investment by SunPower Corporation into a solar manufacturing and power project development joint venture in western China
- Advising the Taiwan Power Company on its proposed corporate restructuring and deregulation of the Taiwanese power sector pursuant to recent Taiwanese legislation prescribing the same
Trade Finance and Regulatory Advice
- Advising the Banking Commission of the International Chamber of Commerce on the implementation of electronic bills of lading in the context of the potential adoption of the Model Law of Electronic Transferable Records in the jurisdiction of Singapore
- Advising a top tier Japanese trading house with advance payment schemes for the long term supply of coal for a value of approximately USD 100 million
- Advising a global steel entity on its trading operations, including the review and negotiation of their trading and brokerage agreements with brokerage firms in Singapore for the entry into derivative trade
- Regularly advising one of the largest agri-businesses in the world on its entire range of international structured trade finance transactions, including discounting and funded participation arrangement, trade credit agreements, prepayment arrangements, offtake agreements and arbitrage business models
- Ongoing retainers with several large Chinese private energy companies providing them with a range of legal services.
- Providing high level strategic advice to one of the largest oil and gas services companies in the world in the context of the volatile geopolitical situation arising from US-China trade tensions and the change in the regulatory environment.
- Advising various ship charterers on the impact of US measures taken against shipowners.