His practice includes advising on:
- Compliance issues relating to sanctions, bribery and corruption, money laundering and fraud
- Regulatory change, international risk and corporate governance related matters, particularly for the insurance market
- Complex internal corporate investigations and defending companies and individuals in regulatory investigations and enforcement actions
Chris is recommended in the Legal 500 2017 Regulatory Investigations and Corporate Crime editorial and clients say he has ‘a deft touch’ and ‘a real understanding of the client’s side of each matter’.
Chris is recognised for his handling of sensitive regulatory interactions and disclosures and, by insurers, for providing "work arrangements" to support their in-house legal and compliance teams.
Chris works closely with various charities and industry bodies in relation to pro bono initiatives.
'Sanctions Law Firm of the Year, Europe', Runner-Up - WorldECR Awards 2017
'Pro Bono Team of the Year', Shortlisted - The Lawyer
‘External Advisor of the Year’, Winner - AXCO Global Insurance Awards 2023
- Compliance: advising insurers, brokers and investment banks on sanctions and financial crime compliance
- Financial Crime: advising on regulatory issues arising out of a potential suite of financial crimes relating to the conduct of an overseas producing broker
- Governance: advising on a voluntary disclosure and remediation steps in respect of certain governance related systems and controls failures
- International Risk: acting for insurers looking at opportunities to launch products in multiple jurisdictions
- FCA Wholesale Broker Market Study: assisting insurers in responding to the market study and on how to mitigate the associated risks
- Skilled Persons Review: advised our client throughout the Skilled Persons Review and conducted the large customer remediation exercise
- Internal Corruption Investigation: acted for a senior manager at a major European investment bank on the bribery and corruption related issues and on all aspects of responding to an internal investigation
- Sanctions Disclosure Multiple Regulators: advised a UK insurer on potential UK/EU and US sanctions infringements. Conducted an internal investigation and subsequently prepared the sensitive voluntary disclosure to the FCA and OFAC, with proposed remediation actions
- Coverholder Misappropriation: advised ten Lloyd's underwriters pursuing a coverholder for fraud and misappropriation of premium. Pursued the agent/key personnel for recovery of the stolen funds and worked alongside investigations by the police, Lloyd's and the FCA
- Aviation Insurance Broking Investigation: advising a broker on the FCA/now European Commission investigation into alleged anti-competitive conduct in the aviation insurance broking sector