James has extensive experience of professional negligence claims and most notably in advising solicitors and barristers in the context of both civil claims and disciplinary actions; he also acts for insurers on a wide range of coverage disputes and handles D&O matters and claims against professionals working within financial services.
James is a recognised band 1 leading lawyer in Legal 500 and his 2020 testimonials included:
'James Preece is a seriously bright man, with a great feel for strategy and the nuance of difficult cases. He is also extremely personable, and a great favourite with insurers and clients alike.'
- Advising on a professional negligence claim against the solicitors' Dubai office concerning its conduct of litigation in the UAE courts.
- Defended a loss of opportunity claim advanced against a barrister following incorrect advice on limitation having been informally provided to the claimant business in relation to an Interest Rate Hedging Product (IRHP) mis-sale claim against a third-party bank.
- Defending solicitors facing alleged breaches of duty (based upon breaches of the Solicitors Accounts Rules) and an alleged breach of trust for misapplying client monies at the request of an individual at the heart of a suspected fraudulent property transaction
- Defended a solicitor firm in a claim by its former client relating to a defective settlement agreement leading to the inability of the client to recover an element of finance commission.
- Advised on a coverage dispute relating to the application of a Product liability policy, and in particular the workmanship exclusion, in respect of the costs of investigating and rectifying defects to fireplaces in new properties.