Jamie Sanders represents insurers in complex, high-stakes insurance coverage disputes. He has litigated and provided coverage advice to clients for claims across a variety of lines, including architects and engineers, environmental clean-up, commercial general liability, professional liability, and first-party property. Jamie has acted as trial and appellate counsel in both insurance and non-insurance matters. Prior to joining Clyde & Co in 2017, he was a partner at Troutman Sanders.
Jamie is the managing partner of Clyde & Co's Chicago office.
- US Courts of Appeals for the Seventh and Eighth Circuits
- US District Court for the Northern District of Illinois
- US District Court for the Eastern District of Michigan
- US District Courts for the Eastern and Western Districts of Wisconsin
- J.D., cum laude, University of Georgia, 2006. Notes Editor, Georgia Law Review.
- B.A., magna cum laude, University of Georgia, 2003
Trial counsel for insurers in multi-month trial where insured sought coverage for hundreds of millions of dollars in underlying asbestos bodily injury liabilities.
Represented insurers in both first-party and third-party Covid-19 insurance claims.
- Represented insurer in high-profile environmental contamination lawsuit in Madison, Wisconsin where the insured sought defense and indemnity coverage for two class action lawsuits and a DNR-mandated remediation.
- Represented insurers in multiple bad faith actions involving multi-million dollar "excess verdicts" in underlying tort cases.
- Secured a finding of no coverage in favor of insurer in litigation where plaintiffs sought to collect an underlying arbitration award from a USD 5 million directors' and officers' liability policy.
- Secured dismissal of garnishment action against liability insurer in which the underlying plaintiff sought to collect on a multi-million dollar personal injury judgment.
- Obtained summary judgment in favor of insurer in a dispute over the insurer’s obligation to cover approximately USD 5 million in post-judgment interest (affirmed by Illinois Appellate Court).
- Obtained summary judgment for an insurer in a breach of contract and indemnity action filed against its managing general agent, which resulted in the insurer recovering more than USD 1.3 million in damages, including attorneys’ fees.
- “The Changing Litigation Climate for Formerly Peripheral Asbestos Defendants,” Emerging Insurance Coverage and Allocation Issues Conference, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, May 2015
- "Extra-Contractual Liability Arising from Failure to Settle Within Policy Limits," Chicago Bar Association, February 2015
- Co-author with William P. Pipal, "Protection Against Extracontractual Exposure: The Duty of an Insurer to Affirmatively Initiate Settlement Negotiations with Tort Claimants," Journal of American Law, Summer/Fall 2015 Ed.