Garrett is a senior equity partner and head of our Ireland office, with 22 years of experience in both London and Dublin specialising in the marine and non-marine insurance, aviation, cyber breach/data protection, energy/renewables and construction sectors. He has particular coverage and defence expertise in insurance and reinsurance lines involving property damage and business interruption, professional indemnity (including solicitors, architects and engineers), cyber breach response/data protection, renewable energy, D&O, political risk, employer and public liability, product liability, Contractor All Risks, construction latent defects and bloodstock.
Garrett, who is a native Dubliner, and his team of five assistants (Maire Ni Aodha, Liam Harnett, Rory Higgins and Geraldine Stack), represent Irish and global commercial clients as well as London market and global (re)insurers on both Irish and English law contentious and non-contentious insurance and commercial matters.
- Acting for insurers on numerous litigation and arbitration matters involving Covid-19-related business interruption coverage, regulatory and reinsurance issues across multiple commercial sectors
- Extensive experience of Irish law professional indemnity coverage and defence issues (including regulatory issues) in the solicitor, accountant, architect, engineering and surveyor contexts, including major Irish engineering projects in the bridge building and university campus sectors
- Acting for multiple international cyber insurers in the provision of Irish law cyber breach coach, GDPR/EU sanctions compliance and data protection services to commercial insureds, including reporting to/liaising with the Irish Data Protection Commission and Central Bank of Ireland
- Extensively advising on Irish law aircraft lessor hull/war political risks coverage and EU sanctions compliance in the context of the February 2022 Russian invasion of Ukraine
- Irish law Directors and Officers coverage and defence representation relating to US cryptocurrency regulatory investigations of entities resident in Ireland
- Product liability coverage and defence representation relating to motor vehicles, construction materials, industrial machinery and agricultural goods
- Advising on coverage and subrogation issues arising out of energy-related property and BI insurance in the Irish windfarm and gas-fired electrical production sectors
- Advising on construction sector Delay in Start Up policies and Performance Bond/Taking In Charge Bond obligations, as well as the operation of Maximum Export Capacity bonds in the energy sector
- Extensively advising on first party property damage and BI, and third party Employers Liability and Public Liability, insurance coverage and defence issues (including fatality and nervous shock claims) in the Irish industrial, recycling, hotel, public house, retail, leisure and forestry sectors
- Specialists in latent damage coverage advice and subrogation in the Irish construction sector
- Providing coverage advice and representation to variou equine/bloodstock insurers, including on mortality provisions, fertility and disability
- Defending Irish airline operators against allegations by international carriers of substantial damage to wide- body aircraft during flight operations
- Providing policy wording and (re)insurance regulatory advice to insurer clients, including carriers operating under EU Freedom of Service passports